Title: Polymer Chemist
As a Polymer Chemist, you will develop new polymer formulations, innovative technologies, and new compounded products, and provide testing support to the Materials team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Exploration, proof of concept, and development of novel formulations and application technologies based on biobased polymers.
- Collaborate with Newlight’s internal technology innovation team and external companies to develop new products and applications consistent with the company’s growth strategy.
- Evaluate novel and promising technologies for high-value markets.
- Work closely with innovative internal teams to develop test methods for new products.
- Develop IP, conduct technology feasibility assessments, and conduct benchmarking.
- Enter new raw materials and formulation data into laboratory database systems.
- Conduct plant trials to qualify new products and reformulate, as needed.
- Perform analytical testing and summarize data per various industry standards.
- Maintain lab instruments per industry standards, calibrate, and keep instruments clean.
- Promote and champion laboratory safety, housekeeping, and preventive maintenance.
- Provide subject matter expertise, participate in technical meetings, and conduct training.
- B.S. or M.S. or higher in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Materials Science, or related field.
- 5+ years of direct formulation, compounding, and commercialization experience.
- Dedicated chemist with a passion to work on long-term, collaborative projects that require extensive research, formulation development, compounding, and testing.
- Working knowledge of formulation design, polymer processing, and development.
- Chemistry experience and familiarity with various analytical techniques: wet chemistry, viscosity, microscopy, rheology, thermal instruments, tensile testing, etc.
- Possess innovation skills and the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and a passion for problem solving.
- Demonstrated success in the development of new products and in scale-up.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- A breadth of technical knowledge and a keen interest in learning from others.
- Competitive pay.
- Stock options.
- Upward mobility.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Gym membership reimbursement plan.
- Company supplied fresh fruit, snacks, and drinks.
- 401(k) investment plan.
- Employee Assistance Program.